Bluewater Health has a long, rich, public legacy of care in the communities we serve, and is Sarnia-Lambton’s largest public sector employer. Yet it can sometimes be surprising how little is known about us.
Here’s our Top 10 List of things you may not know…
- It’s all about YOU! Our Mission compels us to create exemplary healthcare experiences with patients and families every time! We care for hundreds of inpatients and outpatients every day at our hospitals in Petrolia and Sarnia. That means that every year, we touch thousands of people’s lives during some of their most vulnerable and important life milestones.
- We are committed to performance excellence and we publicly report on our progress. Visit our website at www.bluewaterhealth.ca/performance_reporting.
- While our performance is strong, we are constantly working to get better. Our annual Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) defines key initiatives to continually improve patient safety and quality of care. View the plan on our website at www.bluewaterhealth.ca/qualityimprovementplan.
- Compared to many other hospitals, our wait times to receive care are shorter. To view Ontario hospitals’ wait times go to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s website at www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/waittimes/ and search ‘wait times.’
- We are designated by the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario as a Best Practice Spotlight Organization. This means care is delivered using evidence-based best practice.
- We are the first acute care hospital in Ontario (and one of the few in Canada) to earn Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certification for our environmental design and energy conservation achievements.
- The Ontario Hospital Association, the Sarnia-Lambton Chamber of Commerce, the Healthcare Public Relations Association of Canada, and Healthcare Marketing have each honoured us with awards for excellence.
- More important than awards and accolades is what our patients tell us. Our patient satisfaction results, obtained through random, anonymous surveys, are updated quarterly and posted on our website. We also receive feedback through our Contact Us page here on the website, in cards and letters of thanks, and through our Patient Relations office. We’re proud to say that patients give us consistently high scores for their care.
- We manage our financial resources very carefully and constantly seek efficiencies. Our budget is $190 million, approximately 75% of which comes from the Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care. The remaining funding needs must be generated locally by the hospital through such charges as parking, and preferred accommodation fees. Bluewater Health Foundation and Charlotte Eleanor Englehart Hospital Foundation accept donations and host events to generate funds for patient care, equipment and programs.
- Hundreds of volunteers support our efforts - from the boardroom to the patient bedroom, at special events, on auxiliaries and advisory panels, and in the role of Patient Experience Partner. For information on volunteering, visit www.bluewaterhealth.ca/volunteeringatbluewaterhealth.
There are many ways you can be informed, involved and engaged with your local hospitals. Read our Annual Report, Board Highlights and news releases. Subscribe to the free quarterly publication, PULSE; like us on Facebook; and view our videos on YouTube. Attend a monthly Board Meeting or consider volunteering with our hospitals or foundations. Most importantly…consider choosing your local hospitals for your healthcare needs.