We’ve come a long way. For more than a century, Bluewater Health and its predecessor hospitals have been caring for the residents of Sarnia-Lambton. Our organization brings together the excellence of three hospital facilities that have long, proud traditions in our community.
Charlotte Eleanor Englehart Hospital (CEEH)
of Bluewater Health
On December 29, 1891, Charlotte Eleanor Thompson married Jacob Englelhart. As a wedding gift to his bride, he built a Victorian mansion named “Glenview”, with terraced gardens and a 9-hole golf course at the foot. After the sudden death of Charlotte Eleanor Englehart on December 31, Jacob bequeathed “Glenview” to the Town of Petrolia.
The facility’s history began at a public meeting on May 10, 1905, when Dr. R.M. Calder proposed that a hospital in Petrolia could be self-sustaining with four or five patients. Dr. Calder then completed extensive renovations to his home to accommodate a small hospital, with 2 rooms for patients and a “suitable” Operating Room. This hospital continued for several years.
The opening of Charlotte Eleanor Englehart Hospital took place on January 31, 1911, and had a 71-bed capacity. Following the hospital’s establishment in 1911, a group of women volunteers called the Women’s Hospital Guild was formed and remained in existence until 1959, when they were incorporated as the Charlotte Eleanor Englehart Women’s Hospital Auxiliary.
Premier William Davis opened Charlotte Eleanor Englehart Hospital’s new $1.6 million addition, comprised of an outpatient service area, Operating and Recovery Rooms, Continuing Care Unit, x-ray room, and Physiotherapy and Medical Records Departments.
The Continuing Care wing opened, at a cost of $1.9 million.
The Ontario Health Services Restructuring Commission directives are released recommending the addition of four acute care beds. Charlotte Eleanor Englehart Hospital joined in partnership with Sarnia General Hospital and St. Joseph’s Health Centre, signified by the signing of the Strategic Alliance Agreement, and called themselves Lambton Hospitals Group.
In October, the Charlotte Eleanor Englehart Hospital Board of Directors unanimously passed a motion in support of one corporation to oversee the three hospitals in Sarnia-Lambton.
On April 1, Charlotte Eleanor Englehart Hospital, Sarnia General Hospital and St. Joseph’s Health Centre amalgamated to form a new corporation to oversee the three hospital facilities in Sarnia-Lambton. On December 16, the corporation was instituted under a new name, called Bluewater Health. Charlotte Eleanor Englehart Hospital was called Bluewater Health - CEE Site.
As a result of the recommendations from a Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care appointed investigator, Bluewater Health – CEE Site is now called Charlotte Eleanor Englehart Hospital (CEEH) of Bluewater Health.