A job shadow experience gives students meaningful introduction to the world of healthcare. It helps the participant identify career interests and gives them an awareness of the academic, technical and personal skills required by particular jobs in the healthcare environment.
The primary objective of a job shadow is to have the participant observe the knowledge and skills used every day on the job.
Pursuing a job shadow experience:
Job shadow opportunities are limited and must receive prior approval through our Manager, Volunteer Resources & Student Affairs and the requested department manager. Our patients' confidentiality, safety and care, as well as the safety of the job shadow participant are our utmost concern. Therefore some departments may be restricted from a job shadow experience.
- Participants must be 14 years or older
- Participants must complete an interview
- A job shadow application and confidentiality agreement must be completed prior to the scheduled job shadow
- Eight hours or less is the maximum job shadow exposure
- We encourage one job shadow experience per participant
If you are approved for a job shadow experience, remember that you are a guest and will be expected to act in a courteous and respectful manner. Your clothing should be neat, tidy and clean. You will not need a purse, cell phone, pager or backpack. Do not bring large amounts of cash, books, journals, or other items with you. Please lock these items in the trunk of your car or leave them at home before coming to the hospital.
Job Shadow Placement Application Form
- No jeans
- No sweatpants
- No tank tops or bare midriffs
- No baggy clothes or clothes that drag on the floor
- No exposed undergarments
- Wear comfortable closed toe shoes, clean gym shoes are acceptable. Socks or stockings must be worn.
- No sandals
- No flip flops
- No dangling jewelry
- All body piercing and tattoos must be covered