The philosophy of care at Bluewater Health is Patient and Family-Centred Care. We encourage involvement of designated family and loved ones during your stay. We recognize that we are partners in care with you and your family.
We do not view family as visitors. Visitors are friends or neighbours. Visiting hours (for friends and neighbours) are important so that we can support your healing process. You need time to rest and we want to protect your safety by reducing the risk of infection from outside sources. During your recovery, our healthcare professionals require the appropriate time and space to provide you with quality care. There may be occasions when your visitors will be asked to temporarily excuse themselves from you room.
The number of visitors you are able to receive may be determined by your room. In order to support the care and comfort of all our patients in semi-private and ward patient rooms, we may need to reduce the activity and noise level.
Bluewater Health supports family access outside of regular visiting hours. Please discuss these arrangement with you healthcare provider.
General Visiting Hours
11:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. daily.
After these hours, entry to the Sarnia hospital is through a controlled access door located at the east of the main entrance. The following exceptions are also in place:
- Parents of patients on the Children’s Ward or Special Care Nursery are welcome to visit their child(ren) at any time.
- Patients in all areas, other than Inpatient Mental Health, may choose to identify one primary support person, who is welcome to visit at any time.
- Visiting hours for palliative and critically ill patients and post anesthetic care unit are not set. Visitation is coordinated with the patient, their family and the healthcare team.
- Mental Health Unit visiting hours for adult patients are from Monday to Friday from 4:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- The Labour and Delivery Unit allows two support persons to be present during the delivery of a baby.
- Our Maternity Unit allows grandparents or siblings of a newborn to visit between 11:00 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. All other visitors are welcome between 4:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
- Our Special Care Nursery restricts visitors to grandparents/alternates and to siblings of the newborn. In addition, visits are only allowed if parents are present or with parents’ authorization. These visitors may visit the newborn between 4:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.