For many, volunteering means sharing time, energy and expertise, lending a hand, talking with a patient or simply being a friend.
Over 700 volunteers at Bluewater Health share a strong sense of commitment and respect. They all have a desire to help others and give back to the community. They contribute their unique talents, skills and support to provide personalized attention to our patients and visitors, enabling our doctors and staff to concentrate on the work for which they are trained.
The Department of Volunteer Resources is committed to working closely with Bluewater Health staff and volunteers to develop rewarding and challenging volunteer assignments that will enhance the patient and visitor experience at Bluewater Health.
We encourage and support an environment that fosters honest, open communication and we value the contribution of all team members.
Our requirements are simple. As representatives of Bluewater Health, we ask that all volunteers adhere to the same high professional standards expected from our staff, including:
In return, we offer a variety of rewards, in addition to knowing you’ve given of your time selflessly to help another human being:
- You maintain a high degree of patient confidentiality, including refraining from talking about patients, and their illnesses or conditions. The patient’s right to privacy is an essential, critical right demanded by our profession and the Province of Ontario. We also ask that volunteers not seek professional advice from staff.
- You commit to 50 hours of service. These hours are scheduled in 3-4 hour blocks, once per week. Some short-term positions may be available.
- You provide two references, no family members please.
- You complete a health clearance and Two Step Tb Test through our Occupational Health Department.
- You attend the formal hospital orientation (6 hours).
- You sign in and out at the Information Desk.
- You wear your volunteer uniform and identification badge.
- Free parking
- Free uniform and identification badge
- Free Tuberculosis test and Flu shot annually
- Participation in hospital activities and special events.