Bluewater Health was recently recognized by Cancer Care Ontario as the top performer in the province and exceeding the provincial annual improvement target in CT wait times for the percentage of priority 3 cases completed within the access target, for the 2018/2019 fiscal year. Frontline staff were presented a certificate from CCO.
“Wait times for diagnostic tests and treatments are a priority for Bluewater Health and the organization constantly strives to meet or exceed provincial wait time standards,” says Dr. Youssef Almalki, Medical Director, Diagnostic Imaging, Bluewater Health. “We’ve placed a high priority on decreasing the time from test to diagnosis to lessen patients’ anxiety and proceed to treatment, if needed, as soon as possible.” Bluewater Health consistently sees more than 90% of patients for imaging, biopsy and surgery within the provincial wait time indicators. For those patients receiving a diagnosis of cancer, Bluewater Health offers best-in-class treatment options.
Bluewater Health also exceeded the provincial annual improvement targets for five additional indicators:
- Reducing wait times from referral to consultation with a surgical oncologist within all priority categories;
- Pathology post-surgical report turnaround time;
- Reducing the wait time from referral to consultation with a medical oncologist;
- Reducing the wait time from consultation to treatment; and
- Ontario Breast Screening Program (OBSP) clients diagnosed within seven weeks of an abnormal screen with a tissue biopsy.