Community Partners Working Together to Streamline Access
SARNIA & PETROLIA – October 2, 2020 – Bluewater Health, together with its community partners, is pleased to announce a streamlined COVID-19 Assessment process, including appointment only bookings and a new location for Sarnia-Lambton.
Beginning Monday, October 5, Rapids Family Health Team will offer COVID-19 assessments for symptomatic individuals at their Pontiac Drive location, by appointment only, Monday to Friday from 12:00 to 8:00 pm.
The Ministry of Health has recently updated eligibility guidelines (click here) regarding who can be tested for COVID-19. As flu and cold season approaches, assessment centres are prioritizing testing for those who need it most. To avoid congestion at centres, and ensure community safety and testing efficiency, there is a streamlined process established.
“Bluewater Health and Lambton Public Health have been working with our community partners to streamline the availability of testing in Sarnia-Lambton,” says Laurie Zimmer, Vice President, Operations, Bluewater Health. “We are entering the second wave of the pandemic and we must ensure that those who need testing most have access to those results in a timely fashion. Ministry guidelines have changed and there is a new process in our community for testing. There are three streams to consider if people meet the criteria for testing: one stream is via the school testing centres, another is for symptomatic people and the third, which is new, for asymptomatic people who meet certain criteria. It is important to know where to go and if you are eligible. All locations will require an appointment.”
Symptomatic School Testing
Lambton Public Health has established school testing centres for children who are unable to attend school due to illness, and require a test to return to school. Access to various locations is available by appointment, call Lambton Public Health 519-383-8331 or toll free 1-800-667-1839. Click here for Ontario’s revised COVID-19 screening guidance for schools and child care.
Symptomatic Public Testing
Tests at community assessment centres are being conducted only if the person being tested:
- has COVID-19 symptoms (i.e. Asymptomatic parents of symptomatic children do not require testing).
- has been notified by the public health unit or the COVID Alert app of an exposure to a confirmed case of the virus.*
- lives or works in a setting that has a COVID-19 outbreak, as identified by the local public health unit.*
- lives or works in an at-risk setting (such as a long-term care home, homeless shelter or other congregate setting).*
- will be visiting a long-term care home.*
- you are eligible for testing as part of a targeted testing initiative as determined by the Ministry of Health or Ministry of Long-Term Care, similar to the earlier campaign to target long-term care home residents.*
*In these asymptomatic scenarios, patients may attend a pharmacy for testing if possible.
Twin Bridges Nurse Practitioner-Led Clinic, 153 Christina Street, Sarnia – This Saturday 9:00 am to 2:00 pm for walk-ins and drive-through testing. As of next week, appointments will be required.. For more information call 226-776-9030
Rapids Family Health Team, 1150 Pontiac Drive, Sarnia – Monday to Friday 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Assessments are by appointment only. Please book online by going to testing.getcorigan.ca. There is a separate entrance for COVID-19 testing, please follow signage upon arrival. For more information call 519-491-5395.
Central Lambton Family Health Team, 4130 Glenview Road, Petrolia – Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm and Saturday 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. Please book online by going to testing.getcorigan.ca. This is a drive-through assessment centre.
Indigenous Health Center Assessment Centre for Indigenous Peoples
Walpole Island Health Center (519-627-0765)
Kettle & Stony Point First Nation (519-786-5647)
Aamjiwnaang First Nation (519-332-6770, ext. 305)
Grand Bend Area Community Health Centre, 69 Main St. E, Grand Bend – Monday to Friday 1:30 pm to 4pm (excluding holidays). Call: 519-238-2362 or book online at gbachc.ca.
Testing is now available at select pharmacies for those who are not showing symptoms. Asymptomatic individuals may get tested for COVID-19 at a pharmacy if they meet any of the following criteria:
- are a contact of a confirmed positive case;
- live or work in an at-risk setting, such as a long-term care home, homeless shelter or other congregate setting;
- will be visiting a long-term care home;
- are a worker or resident of a specific outbreak site, including a long-term care home, retirement home or school;
- are eligible for testing as part of a targeted testing initiative as determined by the Ministry of Health or Ministry of Long-term Care, similar to the earlier campaign to target long-term care homes.
Shoppers Drug Mart Michigan & Murphy
1206 Michigan Ave, Sarnia - Monday to Friday 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
Call 519-541-9064 to book an appointment
Shoppers Drug Mart Bright’s Grove
2600 Lakeshore Rd, Unit 10, Bright's Grove - Monday to Friday, 10: 00 am to 5:00 pm
Call 519-869-4224 to book an appointment
Bluewater Health, with locations in Sarnia and Petrolia, cares for the residents of Sarnia-Lambton. With close to 2,500 staff, Professional Staff and volunteers, Bluewater Health provides an array of specialized acute, complex continuing care, allied health and ambulatory care services. Bluewater Health’s Mission is: We create exemplary healthcare experiences with patients and families every time. For more information about Bluewater Health, visit www.bluewaterhealth.ca or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube.
For more information contact:
Chief, Communications & Public Affairs