Bluewater Health is part of a large network of cancer care providers in the Erie St. Clair Local Health Integration Network (LHIN). We work closely with our Regional Cancer Program at Windsor Regional Hospital, the London Regional Cancer Program and Cancer Care Ontario to ensure all appropriate services and referrals are available to our patients for high quality cancer care. The staff in our cancer program all work with various diagnostic departments and specialists to plan your care.
To prepare for your appointments please bring:
- A current list of medications and your herbal and over-the-counter medication and vitamin bottles so a medication reconciliation can be completed.
- As much information as you can about your family history of cancer to help the doctor understand your risk factors.
- Your Ontario health card and any health or drug benefit cards. If you have more than one insurance provider, bring the information for all of the plans you qualify for.
- A list of questions to ask.
- Money for parking, coffee, or food.
- A book or other activity to do while you wait for your appointment.
- A family member or friend. Some people find another set of ears is helpful to take in the information, make notes, and ask questions. Patients often feel it is a lot of information to hear at such a stressful time, and it is not uncommon to forget key points your doctor discusses with you.
When you arrive for appointments, please register at the oncology reception desk. The volunteer or receptionist can provide a pager so you can go for coffee or to another area of the hospital while you wait for your appointment.
During your first appointment with the oncologist (consultation) the doctor will ask you about your condition and family history, and will review your medical chart for any tests that have been done. You may be given a physical assessment. Your doctor will then discuss your diagnosis, and treatment options. You can ask as many questions as you like. Sometimes, all your test results (e.g., pathology) are not ready for the doctor to review. In this case, the doctor may ask you to come back. The doctor needs all this information to be able to decide what treatment will be best for you.
After each appointment, please check at the reception desk before you leave, to arrange your next appointment, prescriptions, or tests.
Cancer Clinic (Oncology)
Level 2, Norman Building
89 Norman St., Sarnia, ON, N7T6S3
Hours & Contact
Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Closed Saturday, Sunday, Statutory Holidays.
Telephone: 519-464-4400, Ext. 5517 (Cancer Clinic and nursing support
519-464-4400 Ext. 5535 (Outpatient Pharmacy and Drug Access Facilitators)
After-hours symptom management telephone: 1-877-681-3057
Bluewater Health Oncology Program After-Hours Symptom Management Telephone Line (link)
Managing Symptoms, Side Effects & Well-Being